Short Story: Chapter 2 The Journey


                                                   The Journey





                      Jaime remembered taking the bus to Kuala Lumpur with Appa, with all her clothes and belongings. José stayed back with Amma in Singapore as he got through the first phase of enrolment. He was always the smartest one in their family. She still remembers looking out the window of the bus as tears rolled down her cheeks with music blaring through the earphones. It was night time and dark inside the bus with all the light off. Jaime made sure Appa didn't see her and he was fast asleep in his seat. “Poor Appa. If only I was smarter enough to get through the entrance exams” Jaime thought to herself. If only she could ease his pain and take away the awful guilt he felt. It wasn't his fault. They were all ecstatic when Amma found out she got the job. It wasn't wrong that he wanted them to be together as a family. But Jaime guessed that's how things are sometimes. Not everything works out the way we want it to be. As soon as the driver dropped them both off at their stop, they walked along the deserted streets of their neighbourhood to their house. It was a cold, dark and quiet night as they walked along the empty road with their heavy bags. Appa lead the way making sure Jaime wasn't left behind. Kidnappings, gang fights, robbery, theft and murder are all familiar events around their neighbourhood. The notorious 08 gang resides around them and you'll never want to mess with them. They passed by Jaime's primary school and high school along thew way. 

Image result for children dansing sketch
                She remembers her first day of Year 1 and Appa and Mary Periamma sent her off. It was as if it was just yesterday that Jaime remembered that kiss on her forehead as Appa took her hands, telling her to study hard and enjoy school as much as she can with a huge smile on his face as he saw his only daughter growing up right before his eyes. Jaime trotted away, a little lost about which class she was supposed to be in and was just following the crowd. She vividly remembers meeting Darlene and Cammy for the first time during recess and telling them that she have seen them before during
 kindergarten. They went to the one right opposite their primary school. It's a different building all together now. A house with a renovated extended porch and a mango tree. Walking pass by it brings back just so much memories. One, when Vicky was called upon to the front during exercise day and the teacher asked him to taste his sweat to tell the rest o how it tastes like. I know, gross! But, apparently, that's how they learnt that sweat tastes salty and exercise is vital to lead a healthy life. Two, was when the A&W sponsored lunch and the mascot was super cute we were all busy enjoying our delicious fried chickens! Two, was when Jaime got really excited when she thought she had spotted someone who looked exactly like my English kindergarten teacher. Clad in high school uniform standing amongst a group of female students at the bus stop, she jumped in excitement screaming "that's my teacher" in the car as Appa drove by the high school. The next day at pre-school, Jaime told her that she had seen her around the high school while passing by in the car with Appa, being the 'so very confident' me, affirming that she was the person Jaime saw and she gave a gigantic smile on her pretty face, pinched my cheeks as she carried me up, blowing more kisses on my cheeks. It was a sweet moment. Three, was when we all headed to the National Zoo by bus, wearing our white T-shirt, dark blue pants and a Navy cap. Although we all could have gone to jail for such fashion crisis, it was the least important thing to worry about when you have horses and elephants to ride on. Fourth, when I forgot to let Amma know that we needed to wear huge Indian earrings for our Indian dance on our kindergarten graduation day and my Indian teacher took out her own huge dangling earrings and put it on me backstage right before our que to dance. It was super heavy and I remembered feeling as though I've dropped my ears as the heavy earrings pulled both my earlobes down to my knees while I effortlessly danced to A.R Rahman's Chaiya Chaiya Bollywood song from the hit Shah Rukh Khan's movie Dil Se in my Indian outfit. I barely knew who was Shah Rukh Khan at that time but it was an unforgettable experience dancing alongside my friends, who are still close to me till this very day. I wondered where or what they are all doing with their lives now. It would be nice to meet them all someday and reminiscence our childhood memories together over hot chocolate.

               
Turning to my right side as we walked in the silent of nights, there stood my primary school, strongly and proudly as ever only with a new paint and two extra storeys. Amongst all the other new shop lots opposite the school stood a very classic, yet posing a chilled vibe stood the old Chinese shop, famous among the primary school goers. Crossing the road to get to there, to the other side was the most challenging thing in our lives at that time. Yet, we would hold our hands and run as fast as we could. That shop was our daily supply of our colourful chewing gums, soft toys from the RM1 candy machines and twenty cents asam Iced Popsicles or "tube ice cream” which served as instant refreshers after long day of school, in the hot and sweltering Malaysian sun. I used to love the purple coloured and the Milo flavoured ones. In fact, I'm still addicted to it! Birthdays never fail to come with flour sprinkling, eggs smashing and letters from secret admirers. Thayalan was the boy who would hit on me during my final year of primary school. I remember how I was super studious during my final year exams that I would come in early to school in the morning, just sitting in the class and practicing math on my workbooks, my weakest subject. He would sit down in front of my desk, just chatting with me while watching me study. It was a little awkward at times but cute in a way. I never really "like liked" boys during primary school, except for maybe 1 or 2 crushes, guys were just too childish or just plain weird to me. Among my group of girls that I hang out with, I'd say I'm probably not as pretty as the others but I instead I enjoyed hanging out with my annoying bunch of monkeys I call as friends. I'd play the recorder at class whenever teacher's not around and my classmates love it. The recorder was my only source of entertainment, other than dancing alone in my room with the radio turned on so loud hoping they'd play some really cool songs. They'd often make song requests for me to play some of their favourite song from Tamil movies. Shanteny once asked me if I could teach her how to play the recorder and I didn't really know how to teach someone play it. That was one of the regrets I have till now. We could have been best of friends if we did, my very own music partner. I loved music, always did.

             As we were walking along the empty streets by the school, Jaime saw a shiny, bright white light heading their way. The sound of the burning engine getting louder and louder was almost a little intimidating, especially for Appa as he signalled Jaime to walk behind him. As the sound of the vehicle nears, Jaime could faintly see a familiar face under the dim street lights. “Aunt Rosie!” the tiny little voice in her head whispered.  A broad smile lighted up Jaime’s face. “Need some help there stranger” she sarcastically asked Appa who was stunned for a second. He sighed a breath of relieve and glanced over Jaime, almost showing how grateful he was to see Aunt Rosie. Jaime knew it was never an easy journey for dad walking alone with his only daughter at midnight along the dangerous streets. “You get her home first, I’ll be right behind you, and here’s your bag” Appa said to Aunt Rosy as he handed Jaime her bag. It was something that Jaime never before experienced in her young life. Watching her dad walk alone in the dark of midnight carrying a huge bag of belongings with his weak knees. “Are you okay sweetie” Aunt Rosie asked Jaime pillioned at the back seat. Jaime wished she could say everything’s alright but she just couldn’t bear those heavy eyes filled with tears. One by one they came rolling down her cheeks as the gust of wind blowing through her hair washes them away. When there was no answer from Jaime, Aunt Rosie peeked over her shoulders on the rear view mirror. With one hand on the bike handles, she reached out another and laid on Jaime’s right knee giving her a pat as if to say it’ll be alright. Raising her beloved niece, from the day Jaime was born, has always been a joyous life’s adventure. Aunt Rosie only saw that tiny little girl who was only full of life, happiness and mischievousness now just being reserved and quiet. 

              The short ride back home was rather quiet and pensive. All Jaime could imagine was her day in school. Will she be in the same class as her friends or worse yet, will she be allowed back to school after missing out almost a quarter of the first semester. “I would have missed out a lot on my first Physics, Chemistry and Biology class” she thought. Being the overall top scorer in school was something Jaime was proud of her. After all, it’s her achievement after putting in all that hard work. A walking dictionary was her nick name in class. Kelso started it, then the rest just followed. “Wonder how’s Kelso doing” a little voice whispered in her head. The last time Jaime spoke to him was when they met for dinner at MacDonalds the night before Jaime left to Singapore.

               ‘Taman Permai’ the sign read, as Aunt Rosie made a left turn passing by Lake Kuyoh, the infamous lake. A hotspot for students from the two secondary schools to hang out with their clique past the wee hours. How could she forget the only fish that Kelso caught that one day, after hours of sitting by the lake with their fishing rods up, just waiting for something to bite their worm bait. Late night catch up sessions with the gang used to be the most fun times. Ryan would bring his camping fire stove and Cammy would help make some barbequed sausages on it for the pact. Beers and board games. Tons of such fond memories swept by as she passed the exact spot they used to meet. Years had passed by just too swiftly. “If only things never changed” Jaime sighed to herself.

                        ‘Number 7265’ a blue metal postage sign read. “Here are the keys, get in, I’ll be back with Appa” said Aunt Rosie. She waited until Jaime is inside the house, safe and sound. Jaime closed the door as gently as possible, making sure not to wake Amachi up. Looking at the portraits hanging on the wall made her realize how much she wished things never changed. Jaime was right. Right across the master bedroom, Amachi was sound asleep. Oh how Jaime missed her! It’s been a while since they met. “She must’ve been tired just worrying about everything that has happened” she thought. As gently as she could, Jaime climbed up onto the bed and took a spot right beside her. Laying there in the dead silence, blankly staring at the worn out ceiling, empty thoughts filled her mind. Tears flooded her eyes as they came rolling down.

             Moments later, she heard Aunt Rosie’s bike at the gates of the front porch. Jaime quickly wiped her tears and closed her eyes pretending to be asleep. She could faintly hear dad’s voice at a distant, they were both at the last room just talking. Lights were off ten minutes later and Aunt Rosy gently laid beside Jaime. Laying her hands over Jaime’s head, her hands never felt so soft. Stroking her fine long black hair, Jaime turned to her side. “Are you alright darling” Aunt Rosie whispered softly. Jaime looked into her eyes and just right there she burst out into tears. Burying her face into her hands, Jaime couldn’t stop herself. It’s been hard. “Don’t worry, we’ll figure this out together love” Aunt Rosie reassured her. “What if the school refuses to let me in again, where will I go” Jaime quietly asked. “No silly, I’ll make sure you would get in, I’ll speak to the headmistress first thing in the morning” Aunt Rosie said. “I missed so much on the new subjects, how will I ever pass the papers, it’s a disaster now that everyone’s going to make fun of me at school” said Jaime weeping. Looking straight, Aunt Rosie gently reached for Jaime’s cheeks and held her reaffirmingly. “Listen, I know this has all been difficult, not only for you, but for everyone one us here. You are the smartest and sweetest kid I’ve ever seen, this is the time for you to be believe in yourself. So what if you missed a couple of new subjects, we’ll find a good tutor tomorrow, you’d be right back on track in no time” said Aunt Rosie. Calmness was all she felt. Jaime needed that. Aunt Rosie’s soft hands never felt so comforting as she delicately stroked her hair. “Now stop worrying too much, otherwise those wrinkles would come in too early and the greys would be disappointing” Aunt Rosie smirked. Jaime snugged into Aunt Rosie’s arms and closed her eyes, resting her woes away. “God I need you now more than ever” Jaime prayed in her heart.

                   The bright rays of the Sun pierced through the window pane falling on her supple skin as Jaime laid under her blankets.  “Rise and shine sleepy head” said Aunt Rosie. Sluggishly Jaime got out of her bed and got ready. The smell of coffee brewing from the kitchen woke her senses. Aunt Rosie made her favourite, Indian rice cakes with her favourite spicy chutney. She just knows the right thing that Jaime needed. “Where’s Appa?” Jaime asked. “He’s meeting Uncle Emile today, got something to discuss with him. He’ll be back in the afternoon” replied Aunt Rosie as she sipped her cup of coffee.

                 Hopping onto the back of the bike after breakfast, they headed to the school. Passing the security guard after clearance they walked towards the headmaster’s room. Knock! Knock! Knock! “Come in” a shallow deep voice said. With his usual white long sleeved shirt and a red tie that matched his turban, sat Mr Singh, the headmaster of Saint Paul’s Secondary school. “Good morning Mr Singh” greeted Aunt Rosy. “Good morning, is that Jaime?” he asked looking straight. “Yes” Jaime replied. “I’m Roseline, Jaime’s aunt. We are here to talk about Jaime’s admission back into the school” said Aunt Rosie, straight to the point. “Ah, right, I see. Please take a seat” said Mr Singh as he puts on his glasses. A rush of fear pumped through her nerves. Jaime had never been to the headmaster’s office before. Mr Singh’s stern look worried her. Jaime believed he would definitely refuse to accept such a late admission. “Now, I know Jaime had missed few months of Secondary 4, but things have not been going so well since they moved out of the country. Now that she’s back, it’s only right for her to continue her education in this school again till she completes high school. I would kindly seek your consideration to allow her back into the class” Aunt Rosie calmly explained. He took a glance at Jaime. “I understand Ms. Rosie. Issues like these happens sometimes, I’m not denying it. But it’s April now, Jaime had missed almost half a year’s syllabus. Will she be able to catch up everything by end of November?” asked Mr Singh. Aunt Rosie glanced over her shoulders and looked at Jaime who’s slouched on the chair facing the floor. “I give you my word for it, Jaime would be catching faster than you think, I’ll get her the necessary help that she needs” Aunt Rosie replied. Reaching over his mouse, Mr Singh scrolled trough the computer screen. “Well, her past records does show she’s been scoring well over the years, I’d give her a chance and we’ll see then”. Immediately Jaime sat up straight and gave a huge broad smile. “I promise I’d try my best Mr Singh, thank you so much” Aunt Rosie replied. “Thank you Mr Singh” Jaime said. Walking out of the office, Jaime felt a little hopeful. Holding on tight to Aunt Rosie’s hands, they walked back to the motorcycle. Jaime stood for a moment by the bike. “Thank you so much Aunt Rosie” she said giving her a huge hug. “See, I told you it would be alright” Aunt Rosie reassured.  The journey of Jaime’s back to school adventures were just about to begin.                   

Comments