Poetry: Sister's Words

                                                                 Sister's Words



Clear blue skies,
Comfort under my sheets,
Woke to sunrise before the alarm,
Mother was in the kitchen,
Busy with her breakfast and lunch,
Nursing her family before that,
Said hello to Jesus,
Up on the altar,
Bright lit candles flickered with the wind,
She kept her eyes closed,
Under the warm blanket,
As if she feels her every motion,
Across her bedroom,
Click! clok! Click!
She left for work




Sleepless early mornings,
Are horrible as the bitter coffee,
Reading kept her company 
amidst the bustling streets,
Outside where people flourished,
'HIV transmission among homosexuals'
Stumbled upon a read,
Without hesitation,
Nerves of her mind,
And tunes of her heart,
remembered his image,
Tears flowed caross her dry cheeks,
Tired from the effects of the outside world,






Sprinkles of hot water,
Showered her bare brown skins,
Cocooned in the warm vapour,
Her reflection stared back,
Perhaps I wasn't aware,
Maybe he wouldn't have to think that way,
If I realised it sooner,
That he wasn't different,
That he's holding on fine in another man's land,
That he has trustable friends,
That he loves what he's becoming,
And that he was doing okay with himself,
'MY LORD'
Wailed her soul,
'Forgive me, I did not pray enough'
Don't take it out on this little one,
Send your guardian angels,
Best of them all,
Gabriel to his rescue,
From his confused mind,
And his gentle heart,
Shower him your courage,
Make believe his own extraordinary talents,
Seek glory within him,
And find love the way he deserves.





Soft! 
Soft they say!
I laugh at their immaturity! 
How foolish!
His heart was softly kind,
His words were softly calming,
His talents were softly intimidating,
His embrace was softly loving,
His intelligence is softly amusing,
That's all I knew,
My own flesh and blood


I wished I was there when they laughed,
My wings shielding you from hurt,
Despair,
Teaching how to stand up,
With respect, courage overflowing,
Bold nerves, 
and a little bad ass,
Maybe then my mind would be at peace,
Knowing I was there for you,
When you needed this big sister. 

Tears of regret flowed towards gravity,
Something here must change,
Yes,
I swear it must,
Transform this life of ours into the better,
This I know,
I will,
For you,
Dear little one.














By Jessica John Posko 💗









Comments