Poetry: Planted Kisses

Planted Kisses




to tell you the truth
i never did like my hair
always coarse and ruffled
looking nothing like the women you see on screens
and those circles, around the corners of my eyes
i bet you'd wonder; i haven't been sleeping for years
seems like that three hundred dollars worth 
of magic cream was no help after all


don't get me started about my lips, 
stale as the Mediteranean deserts
infinitely parched and desiccated 
thriving for moisture amidst the painful cracks
burns when i smile sometimes
apparently wearing masks as a shield from the work i do; saving lives
butchers the upper and lower edges of my own mouth
how pitiful


oh; did i mention anything 
about how i loathe the awful stretch marks around my thick thighs
or about the darkness on my folds
perhaps i didn't, but you see
i wish i could peel away this layer of dry hideous skin
coating this fragile insides
instead glue on soft, hairless, fair and flawless like the models on runway


oh how embarrassing
forgive me my dear, brutal shifts of my work caught up with me
i'll try looking better for you
maybe a little blush on my pale cheeks
concealer on the frames of my eyes
ruby red shade painted over the rims of my kisser


i'm learning to love myself
hardest journey of all so far 
i'm trying


but then you planted your kisses on me; gently as ever
whispered you're perfect just the way you are love
and those insecurities never existed


By Jessica John Poskođź’—



Comments